[Rhodes22-list] MacGregor review - Caveat Emptor

Richard Smith sailnut at worldnet.att.net
Fri Apr 1 10:00:27 EST 2005

Although the boat you describe is an abomination some Macgregor's are ideal
boats for lake sailing in light summer conditions.

Yes...   the standing rigging is to light, the deck is attached to the hull
with pop rivets and the glass lay-up debatable.  Still some of them are very
well designed and offer lively performance in the appropriate venue.  WHICH
IS NOT SALT WATER!

One incident respecting a McGregor comes to mind.  We were sailing east on
L.I. Sound on a reach, toward Port Jeff .  Approaching us close hauled was a
21/24 foot Macgregor.  To my horror I saw that the leeward shroud (it only
had one shroud  no lowers) had broken at the chain plate and was flying to
leeward.  The captain was oblivious and paid no heed to my frantic efforts
to alert him to the situation.

I have no idea of what happened when he came about.

Another story;  I don't know if this is true but there is a tale of a
Macgregor losing it's deck, dog house and of course it's rig in a
thunderstorm.  Apparently all that was left was the floating hull itself.

Richard Smith