[Rhodes22-list] Successful Dolphin Rescue

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Sun Apr 3 13:15:25 EDT 2005

Jim,

When my wife and I sailed our O'Day down the ICW your direction, we had an interesting "encounter". Just a little ways south of Corpus, in the Baffin Bay area, a pod of dolphins started following us. They followed us most of the day, sometimes disappearing for 20-30 minutes, then reappearing. The reason we knew it was the same pod the whole time was that one of the dolphins had a thick piece of twine wrapped around her neck, in a way that was obviously NOT going to come off on its own. It didn't seem to affect her at all, but my wife and I knew that as time went on, it would become a problem.We had no idea what to do, so we decided to call the Corpus Christi aquarium. The lady that answered took our information, but I wasn't confident that they would actually try to do anyting.

How should something like that be handled? Or is it just a "lost cause?"

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
  1976 O'Day 25
  Lake Grapevine, N TX

S/V Reve de Papa
  1971 Coronado 35
  Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

>>> jdwhite at utpa.edu 4/1/2005 9:06:24 AM >>>
Here's a short media video of the critter we pulled out yesterday (see
Dolphin Rescued from Backyard Harbor) :
http://www.newschannel5.tv/

I worked with the team from 6AM yesterday morning, and finally got home
from Port Aransas about 1AM this morning. Now up again, collecting gear and
tying up loose ends.... The animal was introduced into the rehab tank, and
appears to be doing OK. If everything goes will they'll transport it back
down here and release it in about six weeks.

No sailing today...winds are NW over 35...maybe this weekend though. Right
now, I just want to get through the day, have a couple of rums and sleep
like rumplestiltskin...
jw

Jim White
Le Menagerie