[Rhodes22-list] Successful Dolphin Rescue

Jim White jdwhite at utpa.edu
Mon Apr 4 09:14:27 EDT 2005

Not a lost cause at all Herb. The Texas Marine Mammal Stranding Network are
the folks who are responsible though- I would call their main office, and
they can put it through to the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS),
who have the actual lead and financial resources to handle such things, the
problem is then usually delegated back to the TMMSN, often to field
coordinators such as myself. Of course it's best to give a GPS of the
animals location along with a physical description (if possible) such as
marker 189 S of Baffin Bay etc...and of course a general description of the
critter. The TMMSN main number is: 1-800-9MAMMAL . However the TSA should
have called the appropriate entities!

Since this is the time of the season that cetaceans tend to strand along US
Shorelines here are
  a few do's and dont's that I plagerized from TMMSN, but apply to most
small to medium sized stranded marine mammals:
    * DO NOT return the animal to the sea- They are there because they are
sick or injured, and can no longer swim
    * Keep people and pets away from the animal- Only 1 or 2 people are
needed until help arrives. Do not leave the animal
    * Relieve pressure on the fins- by digging holes under them. To relieve
pressure on the lungs, you can dig a pit under the animal and fill it with
water
    * Keep the animal cool and wet- by splashing water on the skin. Avoid
getting water in the blowhole
    * Apply wet towels or T-shirts and provide a shade- Keep the blowhole
free of obstruction and don't cover the dorsal fin, flippers or tail
    * Apply Sunscreens or zinc oxide, NOT suntan oil- The dolphin's skin is
very sensitive and can burn severely
    * Apply ice packs- to the dorsal fin, pectoral flippers, or flukes, but
do not let the ice contact the skin directly
    * If the animal is in the surf, support it upright- Keep water out of
the blowhole. If possible, move the animal into shallow water but keep it
in the water
    * Be careful around the powerful tail and jaws

jw