[Rhodes22-list] Compass

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 6 20:21:49 EDT 2005

Slim,

Forgive me for being cute.  The compass is a very
important instrument.  The answer to your question is,
HELL YES, the compass will point to the magnet in the
speaker.  Move the speaker, or the compass.  Lucky
Lindy missed his mark on the Irish coast by three
miles on a compass, so it works by itself.  I've
personally flown airplanes 7 hours on a compass and
found my way, scared as hell, but not lost!  You will
have to recalibrate the compass once the speaker
magnet is moved.  There should be two screws,
North/South and East/West.  Use a GPS or the sun to
figure out what true NS, EW is and correct for
magnetic variation.  Its been a long time since I was
an aircraft mechanic and I'm navigating this week on
PFM (pure f***ing magic) but I'll get out the old
manuals when I get home and look up the specific
procedure.  In the meantime, buy a $5 camping compass
from WalMart as a spare, if for no other reason than
to can live the old Chinese proverb;  man with two
watches never know what time it is!

Brad