[Rhodes22-list] Outer Banks Sea Trials

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Tue Apr 26 14:23:06 EDT 2005

Bill,

I made the trip from Oriental to Ocracoke and back in a chartered Catalina
27 about 25 yaers ago.   It can be a nice trip this time of year, but as
always it's very good to watch the weather.  It's 50 miles of open water,
and if I recall correctly, tends to get very shallow near Ocracoke.  If the
weather blows from the NE bad waves can develop across the entire fetch..
Steep, choppy short frequency waves, much worse than deep water rollers with
a long frequency that don't ever break.  On the eastern side of the Pamlico
you can be out of landsight (most of the land there is pretty low) and have
these bad conditions develop -- in 5 feet of water!  Way out on the ocean
side Cape Hatteras is called the "graveyard of the Atlantic", so a little
caution there would be a good thing too.  I think this is mainly has to do
with the gulf stream and how Cape Hatteras sticks it's chin out in it.
I've never sailed out there, so can't tell you much more.

PT