[Rhodes22-list] Outer Banks Sea Trials

Alex Bell alexbell at lpmonline.net
Wed Apr 27 06:18:01 EDT 2005

William,

I would consider going on your trip on a much bigger boat, but not the
Rhodes. The trip from Oriental to Beaufort will take you 4 hours or
more. Going across the Neuse River across to the Inland waterway you'll
find it to be 8 miles wide. When you get to Beaufort, be aware that this
is a major seaport and large ocean going ships come into port here. They
are not slow lumbering boats. They move out. When we brought Kizmet up
from Charleston, SC, we went via the Atlantic and put in  at Beaufort.
What a shock. We had freighters passing us in the channel like we we
standing still. Adding to the fun was the early morning fishing fleet
that storms out the inlet in the channel going full throttle. The
freighter passed us while we were going 7 knots under full power and it
was going at least 15 knots, more likely 20. The fishing fleet can be
anything from 28 to 60 footers with  mucho power. Most professionals
with outboards have dual 200+ hp and they're using em to get to the
fishing grounds first. Meanwhile you're wallowing in the troughs and
wake they're churning.

Trying to come in from the Atlantic at Ocracoke Inlet is for the
veteran, seasoned boater. I would not try it myself. This is a tricky
inlet that has constant shoaling and rough waters. Experienced fishing
trawlers (professional seamen) have lost their boats there on a regular
basis. I would not try it in a Rhodes. You don't have the enough power
to fight the current and waves if your timing is off.

You would do well to stay in the Oriental area and sail Pamlico Sound.
It's plenty large and has lots of places you can anchor and overnight.
You need to get a charat for the area and heed the warning areas. The
Marine Corps has a bombing area out there. Never know when it's going to
be in use. It's a prohibited area and marked as such, but if you don't
have a chart, you won't know what it's all about. The chart indicates
depth that you might not worry about with the shallow draft but you can
still get into some trouble. It's only a foot deep in some places where
you;d think it was deep water. You will find that the waters in Core
Sound, the water inside the Outer Banks from Cape Lookout to Ocracoke is
very shallow.

We've gone aground in the middle of the Neuse River near New Bern with
the Rhodes. Luckily we pulled the cb up and were off, but what a shock
to be in the middle of a 3 mile wide river and go aground. The good news
is that you won't hit rocks, it's sand and muck. Be prepared for
anchoring with a suitable anchor (danforth or delta) and have at least 6
feet of chain on your rode. I've seen the commentary about not using
chain, but experienced boaters will choose the cautious side and be so
equipped. I once had trouble anchoring in 7 feet of water with Kizmet
when in a creek with the wind blowing. I was using a 35# CQR anchor with
ALL chain rode. It took 150 feet of chain to finally get the anchor to
set, then we reduced scope to about 80 feet. I don't know what would
have occured if we did not have the chain. We've switched our primary
anchor to a 33# Bruce with 20 feet of chain and 150 feet of nylon. It
works better.

We had a Nor'easter two weeks ago that lasted 3 or 4 days. That kind of
weather action forces the water across Pamlico sound and up the Neuse
River. We had water over the docks for a day and the water level was up
for the extent of the strom. When that occurs, you will not be able to
get out of some of the rivers that go into Pamlico Sound that are
located on the South end of the Sound. You just don't have enough power
to fight the wind and wave action. Keep that in mind. You really need to
pay attention to the weather here.

Alex Bell
New Bern, NC
Kizmet, IP35-170