[Rhodes22-list] Question for Bill about blocks

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Wed Apr 27 11:49:03 EDT 2005

I was actually referring only to rolling the trailer back and forth so
the bunks are out of the way for painting.  I prefer to leave the
trailer under the boat to "catch" it if something goes horribly wrong.

However, one day, when my son and I were fooling around (we had 4
poppets, each without center sleeves going all the way to the
ground--and 4 hydraulic jacks--this allowed us to put hydraulic jacks
under each poppit and easily raise and lower the boat on the
poppets--adjusting the poppets as we went, and putting more or less wood
under the keel) we wound up in a situation where by removing the
keel-supporting wood we could move the trailer past the keel, and then
after putting the wood back under the keel we could remove the bow
supporting poppets and slide the trailer the rest of the way out.  Many
boats around here are supported that way all winter, but it made us
uncomfortable, and we soon reversed the process.

The flat aft section of the Rhodes creates an extremely stable platform
for the poppets (poppets, poppits--I'm not sure).  I don't chain them
together.  Sailboats with less horizontal hulls generally chain the
poppets--they are mainly for stability--the boats are resting on their
keels.

I've seen boats with no poppets at all--just ground straps, resting on
their keels.  I won't go anywhere near those boats.

Bill Effros