[Rhodes22-list] Salt Water Sailing (was Outer Banks...)

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Wed Apr 27 15:44:57 EDT 2005

Richard,

I sympathize.  No sailor wants or intends to scare the bejeezers out of
first-timers and give them a bad impression of sailing.  Last summer I had a
first-timer out in some rough conditions--washing the rails and so on, and I
was getting ready to reduce sail when I noticed my guest had intuitively
perched herself up on the windward rail and was fearlessly grinning from ear
to ear.  But I think that's the exception, not the rule.  Most of the
first-timers I've had on the boat were pretty nervous about all that heeling
over, so I tend to sail very conservatively with newbies onboard.  But if
the weather picks up, whacha gonna do?  When we start rockin' and rollin'
the first thing I think about is keeping my voice low and calm.  I think
that helps a lot.

You said it was a CD 25.  Cape Dory?  Full keel and built like a Mack truck?
Good thing you weren't in a more tender R22!

Slim