[Rhodes22-list] Mary Lou and Bill Effros

ed kroposki ekroposki at charter.net
Tue Aug 2 21:06:15 EDT 2005

Bill:
	And, how many years has that Keys trip been in the planning?  Wasn't
there a Rhodes 22 for sale down there?  Maybe you should just buy it for a
week's sailing...

Mary Lou:
	Follow Rummy's directions.  In regards to drilling, do not drill all
the way.  All you need is a small pilot hole.  If you can get them, use pan
head self tapping stainless steel screws about 1/4 or 3/8 long, number 4 or
6 with flat washer.  On the lower repair, I put one screw thru the good
section of loop and one thru the edge of sunbrella. I did the lower repair
at the dock.  My wife kept the sail taut while I drilled the first hole and
put in the screw.  For security I put in the second screw thru the good
sunbrella.  It is possible to point the drill so that it is not headed
toward the forestay.  The screws only hold the sail up or down and plastic
that goes in grove is what holds the sail on the tube.
	On the top, Rummy and I used the holes that the bracket had used
that had originally held up the loop. I do not believe that we drilled any
more holes.
	My boat was recycled almost 5 years ago.  The Sail looked very good,
but knowing Stan, I doubt that they were new.  Therefore, their age is
unknown. The failure was probably due to UV making the straps brittle and
generally weak.  While the sunbrella on my boat is getting faded, I would
say that it is not deteriorated structurally like the straps.  However,
Commodore Rummy says that my sails are blown.  I have no plans to replace
them while they still work.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Addendum: Why do people constantly return to the refrigerator with hopes
that something new to eat will have materialized?