[Rhodes22-list] Boat trip

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at verizon.net
Wed Aug 3 23:27:19 EDT 2005

Michael,
I can't help you on the specifics not knowing the area very well, but some
thoughts from friends of ours who have cruised successfully with small
active kids. Short passages, lots of stops, lots of swimming, a few
overnights in marinas with a pool and other amenities (beaches, miniature
golf, etc. - I think you had that in mind with the resort marina concept)
ways to get off the boat (dinghy?) in anchorages. Our friends kids kept
journals and were interested in the natural world so field guides and
cameras were in order. Maybe a cheap digital? You know your girls - what
would keep them interested and involved? One other thought - it pays to be
flexible, not too tightly scheduled and to have lots of options so there
are choices of things to do in the various ports.

BTW - there is a thread right now on the CSBB on this very topic
http://www.cs-bb.com/forums/CSBB/index.cgi?read=15072 - not too much
specific advice yet but something more might develop. The one good point
they made is to check out the land-based travel guides for your possible
ports. You might look for books like "The Unofficial Guide to New England
and New York with Kids" by Laurie Bain Wilson or  "Fun Places to Go with
Children in New England: 4th Edition, Over 500 Listings" by Diane Bair or
"Fun with the Family in Massachusetts, 4th: Hundreds of Ideas for Day Trips
with the Kids" by Marcia Glassman-Jaffe (there is one for Connecticutt
too). I haven't any of these books but it might be worth spending some time
in the travel section of the local library or the Barnes & Noble just to
gather a bunch of ideas. There may be other similar titles out there. I
found those with a quick search on Amazon.

Good luck. It's a big project but it sounds like it could be a great
opportunity for some family fun.

Mary Lou