[Rhodes22-list] Level on Board

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Aug 13 12:34:03 EDT 2005

Slim,

True enough.  However, the point of the exercise is not to truly level
the boat, but to find the balance where your boat sails best.  I would
like my cockpit seats canted a little more to the stern.  That would
help the water drain better.  Also, I want the cockpit floor slightly
canted toward the stern for the same reason.

When my little level indicates that I am fairly level, that is a very
good starting point for my boat.  If my "lines" matched this reading, it
would be a better visual indication for me.  As it is, they are just
decorative, and create an optical illusion that the boat is inexplicably
bow heavy.  If Stan is using his own bow lines to advise people to sail
their boats bow heavy, it may be that the boat simply sails best when it
is as neutrally balanced as possible, but appears to be bow heavy
because the lines are not in the right place.

As soon as a bunch of people sit in the cockpit, the balance of the boat
changes.  But it changes less than you would think because of the very
broad aft section.

I have a comparatively light motor sitting way out on the stern (63
lbs.) and little weight in the lazarette.  It is hard for me to
unbalance the boat forward and aft, no matter what I do with people and
liquids in the cockpit.

This may not be true if you have a heavy motor, or carry liquids in the
lazarette.

When I sleep in the cabin the boat becomes truly bow heavy (rain falling
into the cockpit doesn't drain.)

If anyone goes into the head while I'm sailing it throws the entire
balance of the boat way off.

Bill Effros