[Rhodes22-list] Level on Board

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Aug 14 15:28:59 EDT 2005

Rummy,

So few of us regularly exceed hull speed, and know that we have done so,
that it is difficult to compile the rules with so little experience.
This I can tell you: rail meat is not a necessity.  I exceed hull speed
sailing alone sitting in the Captain's Seat.

Sailing downwind you tend to sail flat, so there is no issue there.

If you, your sails, and your rail meat exceed hull speed when heeling
more than 5 degrees, I'll bet you would go faster if you reduced sail
and sailed more upright.

I have sailed singlehanded,  upright in the 8-11 kt. range for hours on
end during small craft advisories.  I played with sails, currents,
waves, broad reaches vs. downwind--everything I could think of to make
sure I was sailing as fast as I thought I was sailing, and could repeat
it if I wanted to.  In these winds I always went fastest upright with
reduced sails.

Hurricane Irene 2005 (they seem to be running out of names starting with
certain letters) looks like a dud.  We'll have to wait for the next one
to test these theories.

Bill Effros