[Rhodes22-list] Sail Trolling

Jim White jdwhite at utpa.edu
Mon Aug 15 12:27:44 EDT 2005

>I like Bills take on fishing hove to. Some of the areas we like to fish
>are nearshore snapper structure, and I am looking forward to trimming to a
>minimal drift, and trying to set up over that structure, slowing moving
>along it's length without having to drop the hook in 75 feet of water....
>with currents it might be a bit of a challange. I'll let ya'll know how it goes
>         About 15 or so years ago, I was informed that you cannot fish for
>bass from a canoe (which I had).  Today that kids trophy bass caught from a
>canoe still hangs on the wall.  So much for what you can and can not do on
>any particular type of boat.  Just take them fishing:  Poles, line, hooks,
>weights and bait.
I put on a bail which allows the block movement to a right angle to the
mast (i.e. 90 deg from the bow Port and Stbd.). At the last minute, my wife
ran and got a shot of 3/8 nylon which was led through the block and back
down to a mast cleat. I will rerig with a good piece of halyard after I go
to the boaters-ripoff world this afternoon in Brownsville. It's one of the
tough things about living down here...there's a serious lack of sailing
supply/riggers etc. which makes one pretty self sufficient (and often
innovative) when it comes to repairs
jw
>Jim:
>         Did you put a bail on top of the mast for the block for the
>spinnaker?  Remember that a spinnaker needs to pivot at different angles.
>Did you leave a line thru the block so you can use it without taking the
>mast down?

Jim White
Le Menagerie
www.lemenagerie.blogspot.com