[Rhodes22-list] boom room and boat cost

ed kroposki ekroposki at charter.net
Sat Aug 20 09:25:52 EDT 2005

Chris:
	That was the old retail model.  It was based on economies of scale.
In today's world, Stan's suppliers more often than not go out of business
between units of production.  Others buy enough raw materials to build one
unit.  Then order more raw material for the next unit.  In the meantime
their suppliers raise the price, and they raise their price.  This is the
way it is working for Stan.
	Then other suppliers realize he wants a second unit, so they raise
the price.  They have found a hot item and want to milk it for all it is
worth.  Today's economic model is sell one at a time.  If it sells without
discount, raise the price.
	Those guys who are waiting for the price of anything in demand to
come down will never get that product in today's market place.  Stan is
trying to build boats completely himself.  He now has to fabricate many of
the pieces that he used to get from suppliers.
	If the product has value and demand, the price is going up.  The
economic theories that they taught you in college no longer apply.  By the
time you put in your order the price will go up 25 per cent.  Mark my words,
the plastic that they use for the panels might not even be available.  The
word market place has changed.
	If Rummy has not left yet, maybe he will contradict me and say the
price of roofing is going down.  Is this the case Mr. Rummy?

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA