[Rhodes22-list] IMF Problem

Slim salm at mn.rr.com
Sun Aug 21 20:07:34 EDT 2005

My friend and boat partner Judi and her sister had the boat out yesterday
and had trouble rolling in the main.  I went out there today and discovered
the screw that holds the hardware that connects the boom to the mast had
worked its way out.  The screw was just hanging there and the girls were
lucky the boom didn't disconnect.  I screwed it back in where it goes into
one of the roller bushings.

But now the furler is jammed somehow.  When I tried to pull the sail out, it
only came out a couple feet and then jammed.  I pulled on the in and out
lines and could only roll the sail in and out about a foot--it was jammed
both ways.  Then, after working it back and forth for a while, it finally
came out like usual but jammed again with the clew about a foot from the end
of the boom.  Same deal--it was jammed both ways and I could only pull the
sail in and out about a foot.  It's not binding (such as with a wrinkle in
the sail)--it's seems to be snagging on something and stops hard in both
directions.  I fiddled with it for about a half hour and ran out of time and
had to head for home.  I had to wrap the sail (almost all the way out)
around the mast and bungie it.  I'll head out tomorrow and drop the mast if
I have to...whatever.

Anybody have a clue where the snag might be.

Slim