[Rhodes22-list] IMF Problem

cjlowe cjlowe at bright.net
Sun Aug 21 22:25:54 EDT 2005

Slim,
Check the bottom of the furling tube, mine has a thrust bearing that is
attached to the bottom of the tube with a phillips head screw that is
counter-sunk into the bearing. The bearing rides on a piece of plastic
attached to the bottom of the boom raising slider bracket.The bearing takes
the weight of the furling tube and sail.On mine (an '86)the screw that
secures the bearing to the bottom of the tube came part way out,and was no
longer counter-sunk,it stuck out about 3/8" below the bearing,and caught on
the piece of the bracket the bearing rides on .When that happened,the
furling tube would only rotate about 300 degrees,then the screw would catch
on the other side of the bracket. Sounds like this might be what is
happening to yours.
To check it out ,leave the pop top down, put the boom in the upper
position,take a flashlight and look into the mast slot,under the boom
bracket and see if anything is sticking out of the bearing,while pulling on
the outhaul or control line to rotate the tube for a better look.
I was able to tighten the screw by rotating the screw to where I could get
at it with a long shanked screwdriver,without dropping the mast. I put a
longer screw in it last winter,when the mast was in the basement.
I hope this is what happened to you , as it is an easy fix.
good luck,
Jerry