[Rhodes22-list] Parts Catalog

Todd &#38 Julie Zumach zumach at pctcnet.net
Sat Aug 27 12:16:24 EDT 2005

Bill and Others,

A DIGRESSION PEHAPS...

I have been lurking here enjoying the conversation about manufacturing
accessories.  This latest post starts to get into an area where I have some
experience.  For the past 19 years I have worked in manufacturing dealing with
inventory, costs, etc.  I have also implemented part numbering systems, bills of
materials, and an engineering change system.  My point is (and this is a very
narrow focus) that creating item numbers and bills of materials is very straight
forward.  Don't worry about the computer aspect, be concerned about the human
interaction.  For instance, use a simple numeric only part number system.  Seven
digits is an excellent example.  Treating the numbers like phone numbers (i.e.
9312564) with a significant block of 3 digits allows categorization by type of
part.  The last four digits are a non-significant, sequential number.  Try to
limit use of alpha characters and special characters like dashes (-).  All this
makes for simple reading by people who may not speak English.  Also, an item only
gets a number once.  You don't want the  same snap to have two different part
numbers.  That just increases your inventory and creates confusion.

You have stumbled upon a subject I have some knowledge and interest in.  If I can
help in any way, I certainly will.

On a slightly different note, the company I work for has offices around the
world.  We are currently investigating a partnership with a Chinese company to
build our equipment in Asia.  If it would  help, I can contact some of our people
to tap into their network of Chinese contacts.

Todd Zumach
Phillips, WI

P.S.  I have had the boat out sailing three times since I got her.  This is an
awesome sailboat.  I am looking forward to weekends in the Apostle Islands next
Summer!

On Sat Aug 27  9:22 , Bill Effros bill at effros.com> sent:

> [...]
>multiple molds required to fabricate an R22.  Each should have its own
>prefix number.  Then the parts attached to it should have sub-numbers,
>so a cleat attached to the hull might have a different number than a
>cleat attached to the cabin--even if it were the same cleat.
>
>I haven't done this in a while, so the science may have leap frogged
>beyond what I know.  We have no shortage of computer guys on the list
>who can help.
>
>Starting with just the Boom Room, what are the parts?  I assume each
>sub-assembly will get its own part number (the computer can figure out
>that a snap on the end of a strap, attached to a screen, sewed onto a
>Velcro frame cut out of the main boom room assembly; is the same snap as
>the snap on a pop-top enclosure where it attaches to the sloping portion
>of the bow--even though they have 2 different part numbers so the
>Bulgarian will know that the snap is used for one purpose in one
>sub-assembly, and another purpose in the other sub-assembly.  The
>computer will allocate the inventory properly, and reorder pieces before
>they are needed.)
>
>Ed, returning to the central point, would you be able to spec all the
>parts needed to assemble just a boom room?  (English will be fine for
>this exercise.)  If we can find the Chinese to do the job, we will have
>to be able to provide all of this information.  We should develop our
>parts numbering system for the Boom Room so we can fool the Chinese into
>thinking we have even the slightest idea of what we are talking about.
>
>Bill Effros
>

>ed kroposki wrote:
>
>>	You guys miss a very important point.  On line ordering requires
>>that the recipient of your order understands what you want.  That takes time
>>and experience.  It takes understanding the language that you are speaking
>>in.
>>	All parts orders from GBI need to be written clearly in three
>>languages at this time.  They need to be in English, Bulgarian, and Spanish.
>>Orders written in English only can languish until the maestro has time to
>>decipher them and translate to Spanish and Bulgarian.  When translating to
>>Spanish, a detailed engineering drawing and photo are required.  A digital
>>picture enhances the probability of an accurate exchange of information.
>>	These requirements can change Monday morning when Stan hires a new
>>guy from Turkey or Vietnam.  Always keep in mind that many parts for a
>>Rhodes 22 are unique, and that year of manufacture has relevance to part
>>needed.  There is no master catalog of Rhodes 22 parts. Each boat is hand
>>crafted, and boats vary depending on the availability of each part and
>>Stan's penchant for innovation.  The computer experts are familiar with the
>>phrase 'work around'.
>>
>>Ed K
>>Greenville, SC, USA
>>Addendum:  You can tell it is 2005 when you have 15 cell phone numbers for

On Behalf Of Bob Keller