[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Jay about Chain plates

Gregg J. MacMillan gjm at macgra.com
Sat Dec 3 07:05:50 EST 2005

At 9:27 PM -0600 12/2/05, Todd Zumach wrote:

>How do you inspect and replace the chain plates?

Todd--

The following is from Stan's site:

http://www.rhodes22.com/contruction_detail.html

I think the answer you're looking for is in the second to the last paragraph.

--Gregg

THE CHAIN PLATES AND STAYS

Chain Plates And Stays - 9" That is the marquee for our current
attraction.  Not many plunk down their coins for this feature.  It is
a sleeper.  But its sequel, and the next coming attraction, is a
block buster, not to be missed.  However we are getting ahead of what
is now playing.
Many lookers are concerned about the little stainless steel holder
the mast sits in.  It couldn't possibly be sufficient to secure that
big mast in any kind of blow.  They are right.  They would be even
more disturbed if they knew that that little mast step was held to
the deck by only three little screws !  ??

First let's look at the nine chain plates.  It is at these points
that the real load of the mast is transferred to the boat.  If winds
cause the mast to heel, the boat must follow, or the mast falls.  The
more areas on the hull this load can be spread over, the less the
strain on the boat and the safer you will be.

Most 22s have six stays; and even less chain plates, because they
send two or more stays to a single plate.  The Rhodes is the only 22
we know of that sports nine stays, each going to its own chain plate.
9 Chain Plates.  There is good support for our madness:

First is the better load distribution we mentioned.  Second, masts
tend to pump, that is flex fore and aft in the mid section, if they
are not supported here.  Having one pair of lower shrouds (stays on
port and starboard below the spreaders) only dampens this pumping
action in one direction.  There must be fore and aft lower shrouds to
handle this properly.  Most 22s only have aft lowers.  Third, this
big, flexible stick wants to be standing on your deck tall and
straight.  The more stays, the easier it is to tune the mast and keep
it tuned.  Fourth, you can lose an awful lot of Rhodes stays and that
mast will not come down.  On most 22s, losing just the jib stay will
bring down the mast, and on top of the cockpit at that.  And finally,
for practical comfort:  The Rhodes' upper shrouds go vertically from
the gunnel to the large spreaders.  The double lower shrouds go from
the cabin top, diagonally to just below the spreaders.  This leaves a
clear walkway to the bow deck.  More than that, since there are nine
stays and since each stay goes to its own chain plate and since the
chain plates are spread out, the shrouds become vertical life lines,
grabbable at any height.  (As compared to regular life lines, that
are at an awkward height to hold, and at a good height to crease you
at the back of the knees for flipping over backwards.) One point for
trailering boat people:  double lowers allow you the option of
raising the mast from fore or aft.

Our mast step worrier still isn't satisfied, particularly since he
now knows the step is just held down by those three little screws.
Because of the way masts are supported by stays, most of the force at
the bottom of the mast is downward.  The very small horizontal thrust
at the bottom of the mast is easily handled by fasteners in shear.
On the other hand, if the stays supporting the mast are disconnected,
there is no way that this huge lever called a mast, would not pry up
its mast step, no matter how many bolts it had.  We once witnessed a
22, whose builder had innocently bolted on his mast step, lose the
cabin top when the mast came down.  Although Rhodes' owners are
smart, we know of some absent minded professor types who drove off
with their masts up.  It was amazing how little damage was done when
the first bridge or cable they met took down their masts.  Their
savior was those three little screws that make for a clean break away
of the mast step from the deck.  I have replaced such break away mast
steps by just driving three epoxy coated pieces of wood into the 3
holes and re-screwing the mast step back in place.  We trust you will
never have to take advantage of this wonderful construction detail.
But even if a jealous neighbor pulls the pins from all your stays,
the joke will be on him.

Our worrier is grudgingly convinced, but now he has found something
else.  Those chain plates will never hang in there with just those
two little screws he spotted next to each shroud chain plate.

The real fasteners for the shroud chain plates are not visible on the
Rhodes, from the inside or the outside.  Those two little screws
merely hold down the chain plate covers, making them easily removed
for re-caulking chain plate slots after chain plates re-seat from
sailing forces.
Having read this far undoubtedly means you are a detail nut.  So let
us tell you how the nine chain plates are really fastened.  The bow
chain plate is through-bolted to the deck and hull (also helping to
keep these two elements together in a key place).  The four lower
shroud chain plates are glassed into the 1" cabin top you saw
displayed at the boat show.  The lower shrouds, collectively are very
important, but individually carry the least part of the mast load.
The upper shroud is the real work horse.  Its chain plate goes down
the deck to the deck/ hull seam, where it forms a "T" that is triple
bolted through both the deck and the hull.  You do not see it because
it is behind the rub rail on the outside and behind the seam strip on
the inside.  (Yet, like so much of the hardware connections on the
Rhodes and unlike some hardware on other designs, is accessible if
ever necessary.) The back stays chain plates are bolted through the
corners of the transom.  Corners are the strongest part of any layup.

Stay Summary:  The Rhodes has 9 stays, each going to its own chain
plate for extraordinary mast load distribution, all placed to make it
easier to walk the decks between them, culminating in the best mast
support and shape integrity possible plus allowing mast raising from
fore or aft.  All equalling the highest safety factor of any
trailerable or any boat with a single handed hinged mast system.

--

M a c M i l l a n  G r a p h i c s
1 . 8 0 0 . 7 7 1 . 3 1 7 1
2002 Ford Circle, Milford, OH  45150