[Rhodes22-list] To Chris G about chain plates

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Sun Dec 4 15:45:27 EST 2005

If your chainplates have "play", then you have problems. Stop and think about what this means. They were once tight, and now they're not. That means either the bolts holding them have loosened, or the holes have become larger. If the holes have become larger, then that means the material they're mounted in has deteriorated. If that's the case, you've got minor problems now, that will be major problems later.

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
  1976 O'Day 25
  Lake Grapevine, N TX

S/V Reve de Papa
  1971 Coronado 35
  Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

>>> zoomerzx at gmail.com 12/4/2005 2:05:03 PM >>>
Chris,

Thanks for the information.  I was reseating the chain plate covers this
fall and noticed that two of  the port and starboard lower chain plates had
a tiny (<1/16") of play in the fore/aft direction. I think I will leave well
enough alone.  I do like the idea of using Teak cover plates.  I will have
to remember that if I ever decide to open this can of worms.

Todd Z.
Phillips, WI