[Rhodes22-list] NYC to Edenton

ed kroposki ekroposki at charter.net
Wed Dec 7 11:58:43 EST 2005

Bill and Dave:
	I make a trip from Greenville, SC to Middlebury, Vermont about twice
a year.  I have not towed my boat, but have seriously studied the way.  It
is a 1,000+ mile drive.
	I have also made the trip via Nashua, New Hampshire.  Going the New
Hampshire route puts me going thru NYC either by I-95 or I-84 to some
connecting route usually east of the Hudson.  I have been making similar
trips for over 35 years, before many connecting routes were built.
	Elton makes the trip often, so you should specially ask him as his
opinion because mine is different.  My problem would be towing over the
Delaware Memorial Bridge.  To me that is scary without towing.  It can be
gusty up there, but that does not faze Elton.
	I have made the newer connection thru Philadelphia instead of the
New Jersey turnpike.  Going thru Philadelphia during an off hour is not bad,
notwithstanding occasional road repair.  I would seriously consider this way
to I-95 south when towing rather than the bridge.
	From Baltimore to Richmond is a royal pain in the ass even at off
hours.  I have towed thru that mess without a great deal of problems, but it
helps knowing the road and where the traffic jams usually occur.  You can
easily sit stuck for two hours.  For that reason, I would seriously consider
going a few miles more around that whole stretch.
	My recommendation would be to tow from the GW Bridge to I-287 to
I-78 west to Harrisburg, Pa. then follow I-81 south to I-66 toward
Washington, DC.  Then proceed only to U.S. 17 and follow that to I=95.  I
you measure that route by the maps; it is just over 50 miles longer.
Furthermore the U.S. 17 route is not interstate, but has traffic lights,
etc.  I know others who have used that connection from I-81 to I-95 and they
say it is useable.
	When you approach Petersburg, VA, there is a short cut recommended
by Elton and Stan to Edenton.  I have used those roads and they are good
secondary roads, and definitely a way to go.  The only confusing part is
connecting US 460 with Hwy 32 that takes you directly into Edenton.  There
is a new by-pass around Suffolk that could have more informing signage.
Keep in mind that Stan and Elton make this trip often.  They do even look at
signs nor notice that they do not tell you squat.
	Again, if you are apprehensive, I would go around the Baltimore and
DC area, especially during high traffic times.  I would avoid the bridge
notwithstanding the numerous Rhodes 22s that have crossed it.  If you use
the I-78 to I-81 route, you will be going the way the professional truckers
go.
	Yes, this discussion is in the archives.  However for Ben's and
Wally's comfort, it is being replayed.  If you go the Philadelphia maybe you
could get Steve to go to Edenton with you.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA