[Rhodes22-list] IMF outhaul setting ver 2 for Ed.pdf

Slim salm at mn.rr.com
Sun Dec 11 01:38:54 EST 2005

Peter,

I'm so glad someone finally brought this up.  OK, I understand this
geometry--it's the same as adjusting the jib sheet cars so the imaginary
line bisects the luff.  I get that.  But in practice, the clew of my main is
never more than an inch or so from the spar itself under full sail.  If I
reef in for higher winds, I position the car forward right up close to the
clew.   And for higher winds, you want the outhaul tight to flatten the
sail, right?  So are you talking about very light air when you ease the
outhaul?  Still, when I do that, I only ease it a couple inches.  Maybe I
should be easing it a lot more?  So my question is what's the distance
between clew and spar and under what conditions?  And the follow-up
question:  if the clew is within a couple inches of the spar, does the angle
make any difference?

Slim