[Rhodes22-list] Biscayne Bay Area Launch ramps

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Dec 17 13:40:04 EST 2005

Bill,

As of about 10 minutes ago, it appears I will be bringing my boat down
to Florida this winter.  I will get a slip at Dinner Key Marina and hang
out at Scotty's Landing.  The Dinner Key Marina web site is under repair
right now:

http://www.ci.miami.fl.us/PublicFacilities/Marinas/dinner.html

Depending on how long you stay, you can get slips for between $75 and
$25 a day.  There is a beautiful harbor where you can drop anchor, but
the City of Miami (or the City of Miami Beach) has recently passed laws
permitting anchoring for only 7 days out of every month.  I have
constitutional issues with this, but I'm not prepared to fight that
fight at this point, and will leave it to others.  I'll find out what
the live-aboards (who appear to have been there since the 1960s) are
doing about this.  I know some of them, but Internet is not their
thing--they mainly use flags and flashlights, Morse and Semaphore code.

Scotty's Landing is right next door:

http://www.sailmiami.com/grovekey.htm

I will have to work out all of the questions you are asking in the next
month, and will report back.  We have a friend within walking distance
of Dinner Key Marina, so this is a no-brainer for us.  I have looked
around for deals and locations for the past 10 years (we go down to see
our friend frequently) and this seems to me the best place to start
exploring the Keys from, and to find out if this is really fun, or just
one of those ideas that sounds great when you're shoveling your
driveway, but is ultimately more trouble than it is worth.

I will be thinking out loud on the list as I make plans and learn things.

Bill Effros