[Rhodes22-list] Biscayne Bay Area Launch ramps

Robert Quinn rjquinn at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 17 17:01:40 EST 2005

Bill:  A lot depends on what you plan to do (e.g., do you plan to put in and
sail off for a few days or just day sail coming back to the same location
every night?).

I've read ahead so will try to consolidate responses in one email.  Sailing
on Biscayne Bay when the weather is with you has to be one of the neatest
experiences going.  The Bay offers lots of fairly open area and lots of
islands to explore but you also have to have good charts are there are lots
of shallows to contend with.  The R22 is a good boat for the area.  The sail
to Key West is great.  As someone mentioned coming back can be a challenge
as from Key West to Marathon in the Hawk Channel (Atlantic side) you are
heading almost directly east.  Most days the wind comes from the east...
need I say more.  Going down is a blast.  (Must add that sometimes the wind
can be with you coming back.  Mother Nature don'cha know.)  You do have the
option of coming up on the Florida Bay side though which is interesting for
a couple of reasons.  The channel is well marked but does get shallow and
winders quite a bit out of Key West; however, it offers a lot of protection
when the wind is up on the Atlantic side. Plus lots of protected Bays that
offer great swimming, fishing, islands to explore, etc.

Frank Papy's guide book "Cruising Guide to the Florida Keys" is a must, in
my humble opinion, as he gives you some good guidance all along the way
(Fort Lauderdale to Key West and the Tortugas (now with a West Coast
supplement) pointing out high points, places to see, and places to avoid,
good navigation guidance, anchorages, hints to make life in the Keys a great
experience, etc.

We have been to Homestead's Bayfront Park on many occasions but for some
reason I have never bothered to inquire about overnighting the car and
trailer as we never had our R22 there.  I do know that there is a fellow who
sailed his R22 from there to the Bahamas so would think he left his trailer
and vehicle there.  I'd give them a call as this would be an ideal jump off
point.  There are slips, fuel, bathrooms, parking, etc. available so it
looks like leaving the trailer and car there would be a good bet.  Crandon
Park Marina on Key Biscayne is also something to check out.  A bit more
crowded but a good jump off point as well.

We sailed the "NoKaOi" (Tartan 37 Version as opposed to the R22 version)
around from Punta Gorda via Cayo Costa, Naples, Marco Island, Shark River
(winded in for four nights), Marathon, Key West (Boca Chica actually for a
month), then back to Marathon (wind on the nose).  As the weather was quite
stinky on the Hawk Channel we ducked under the seven mile bridge up to
Matacumbe Key, Pumpkin Key, breaking out into Biscayne Bay for one of the
most memorable sails we have ever had.  The weather was perfect: wind, sea
conditions, bright clear blue sky day, dolphin escort, and gin clear water.
We ducked into No Name Harbor on Key Biscayne (near Cape Florida Park) for a
wonderful night.  We continued on up to Fort Lauderdale, Lake Worth (Palm
Beach) before getting back to Stuart via the St. Lucie Inlet.  With the
exceptions as noted we only spent one night at the named locations as we
were interested in spending time in the Key West area, and from there,
getting home for a family reunion.

Now the questions is:  Bob if you had it to do over, what would you have
done differently?  Took tons more time!  Learn from our experience.  I've
read a lot about sailing the Keys area (Biscayne Bay to Key West) and the
best advice is to spend at least a week in each area:  West Marine puts out
three chart books:  one for Miami to Key Largo, one for Key Largo to
Marathon, and one for Marathon to Key West and the Dry Tortugas.  These
chart books kind of make it easy to break up your visits with plenty to do
in each area both on the Florida Bay side and on the Atlantic Side.  (Note:
There are several places whereby you can cross over from the Hawk Channel to
Florida Bay.  It is important that you know these cross over points as when
things kick up on the Atlantic side you want to know where you can duck over
to Florida Bay.  This is especially important during the winter months when
the 'nor'easters blast through.)

Oh, and in each of these segments, there are places to launch and recover
from.  For example in Key Largo, you have John Pennekamp Coral Reef State
Park which is a great jump off point to some fantastic snorkeling just off
shore on the Hawk Channel.

Our "NoKaOi" got bashed in Frances and Jeanne last year so our sailing
season was limited (we left the Florida heat and hurricane season on July
20th in a small motorhome for Maine).  After we got the boat recommissioned
in April we were only able to get a few day sails in plus a three day trip
to Lake Worth.  Sure enough, Wilma, our 2005 storm also beat  the "NoKaOi"
up a bit, fortunately not nearly as bad as Frances and Jeanne.  We hope to
set sail again in January in preparation for a Bahamas run sometime from mid
April to June 1st.   If for some reason the weather gods say no to the
Bahamas, we will be perfectly content sailing from Biscayne Bay to Key West
in a very leisurely pace.  Tons of great anchorages, swimming, snorkeling,
restaurants with dinghy docks when we don't want to cook aboard, and did I
mention, wonderful sailing?

Come on down, you will love it!

Bob and Kathy on the "NoKaOi"