[Rhodes22-list] Biscayne Bay Area Launch ramps

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Dec 17 18:11:38 EST 2005

Bob,

Thanks for spending so much time on this reply.  It is exactly what I need.

I've got charts, guide books,  Frank Papy's guide, etc.  I think you
recommended Papy years ago, and I went right out and bought it.

As a professional vacation taker, I like to settle into one or two
places and really learn them, rather than trying to see how many notches
I can carve into my GPS.  If I like the area I can always come back.

My wife likes the idea of sailing better than sailing.  She has very
thin blood, and gets cold when the sun's not out, even in the middle of
the summer.

We have a very close, very interesting friend who lives in Coconut
Grove.  We have many friends in Miami, love the area, and come back
repeatedly.

If my wife enjoys this vacation, and enjoys having the boat in Miami, we
will repeat it.  If not, my boat will probably never sail out of the
Long Island Sound area again.

OK.  That's fair enough.  Both my wife and I are perfectly comfortable
with my sailing and navigation skills.

There are islands off the Florida coast that are rentable.  There are
homes on canals with slips that we can rent.  Their are resorts
reachable only by boat, and others with marinas where you can leave your
boat while you get a hot shower and sleep in a real bed.  All of these
things are under consideration, and my wife is game.

We have stayed in Marathon and Key Largo and Key West.  We have
snorkeled in John Pennekamp.  We have sailed in Key Biscayne with
friends.  We have been on Fisher Island.  All delightful.

I am going to study and review your remarks closely, and plot them on
charts, along with any other thoughts from anyone who wants to suggest
anything.  I want to construct a knock-your-socks-off, can't miss, first
time, winter boating experience, so my wife will want to come back
again, and do more.

Your comments will help a lot, and I'm going to keep going over them.

Thanks, again,

Bill Effros