[Rhodes22-list] Biscayne Bay Area Launch ramps

Robert Quinn rjquinn at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 17 21:36:49 EST 2005

Bill:  My pleasure.  Hope it helps you have a great time.  From the sound of
it you know the area and the first trip out should be Biscayne Bay.  If you
decide to overnight on the boat, I recommend No Name Harbor for one night
and Pumpkin Key for another night (or alternatively Elliott Key Harbor or
Boca Chita to shorten sail time).  Getting to and from each will allow you
to sail the length of Biscayne Bay.

As you indicated there are so many options that you can just about run out
of time and money before you complete them all.  We rented a place in Key
Largo a few years ago that came with a '25 Catalina.   My brother and his
wife joined us for a great romp on Florida Bay.  We stayed on the Florida
Bay side: Blackwater and Buttonwood Sounds primarily but you can cut up to
Barnes and Card Sound as well if you wish.  We sailed down to Hammer Point
where my cousin had a place stopping along the way for lunch, a swim, etc.
Much calmer on the Bay side most of the time.  What is nice about having the
choice is that if the Hawk Channel is kicking up, you can save the vacation
by slipping over to the Florida Bay side.

We love visiting Coconut Grove.  Very interesting people watching location
with tons of great restaurants.  As a Miami Boy (actually grew up in
Hialeah, Miami Springs, and Palm Springs), we try to get down several times
a year.  The Miami Boat show is always a great excuse for us to visit old
haunts.  We will spend a few days at this year's show.  Rumor has it that
Elton will be there.

Bob