[Rhodes22-list] Energy Policy - Oops!

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 21 05:15:13 EST 2005

Saroj,

An airline pilot is the LAST person you want stock
advice from.  There is an old joke in the industry
about the pilot who won the lottery.  When the news
media asked him what he was going to do with the money
he replied, "invest it until its all gone."

The new joke going around is, "What's the difference
between an airline pilot and a pizza?  ANS:  A pizza
can still feed a family of four!"

Seriously, I'm not sure some of the passenger carriers
can be saved if labor showed up for free.  DAL will
survive but they still have their "legacy" costs to
deal with, meaning they may have to screw their
employees out of their retirement to compete with the
others that have done so.  If United or USAirways goes
"belly-up" it will help the surviving carriers, but
most likely, they'll over-expand again and two years
hence, same senario. US airlines just aren't good long
term buys but make for interesting short range trades.
 If you must buy a passenger airline stock, look at
China Southern (traded on the NYSE) or any of the NYSE
traded Asian carriers.  SouthWest is still a good
long-term bet and the cargo airlines are solid gold.
My best friend (a broker) and I are trying to put
together a hedging strategy betting airline stocks
versus oil stocks.  So far we've lacked the nerve to
make any but small moves.

My investment advice?  Buy a bigger sailboat.  You
know your losses will increase but at least you'll
have fun!

Brad