[Rhodes22-list] Secure furled jib?

Robert and Sandra Fuller BobandSandy at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Feb 28 16:30:04 EST 2005

Hello guys, I last posted a few months back.
Elton delivered a nicely reconditioned '86 to me here in Cortez, Fl. over the weekend.  It was a pleasure to spend some time with him and get his thorough introduction to some of the boat's features.  Time & weather prohibited a shake-down cruise however, which will be monitored  this week by Sam Gibbons, a local Rhodes owner. I don't think he posts on the list.
First of many questions, I'm sure:When this area got nicked by hurricane force winds last summer, most of the boats in the marina did fine.  A few, however, had their jibs unfurl and shred.  I had watched those owners wrap a good bit of line around them before hand.  Short of lowering the mast (don't have a hoist), I wonder if people have any tips for securing furling jibs in extremely high winds?  Elton had mentioned duct tape and I had thought about using some very large (48") cable ties.  Also fret about that tiny triangle that protrudes after the IMF is furled.
Bob F.