[Rhodes22-list] Problems removing cap of centerboard trunk

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Mon Jan 3 20:31:32 EST 2005

Luis,

I removed my cap to paint the centerboard this spring.  If memory serves, I
used a 1/2" socket on a ratchet drive and a 1/2" box-end wrench to hold the
nut under the flange.  The flange is two pieces of fiberglass each about
1/4" thick with about 1/8" rubber gasket between.  Bolts are about 1 1/4"
stainless with washers and nylock nuts.  I think that there are about 36.

With your thumb and forefinger, place the thumb on the bolt head and feel
around the bottom side of the flange for the other end of the bolt and the
nut.  Once you find the end of the bolt, you can blindly put the wrench over
the bolt and wiggle it up to hold the nut stationary while you unscrew the
bolt.

If you can't find the end of the bolt, maybe somebody fiberglassed the whole
thing in.  Is the flange as I described and is the bottom accessible?

Jim Connolly
s/v Inisheer
'85 recycled '03