[Rhodes22-list] CB paint removal/ repair

steadilsr at verizon.net steadilsr at verizon.net
Mon Jan 3 21:23:43 EST 2005

Roger and any other concerned Rhodies:
 After being "locked out" of my Marina for the holidays, I had to be content
with scraping and sanding down the CB itself.   Roger, you have XRAY vision b/
c you spotted the gelcoat through layers of paint from the first pics I showed
a few wks ago!!
 Someone had indeed taken this board down to its laminate and had to add some
additional in the aft edge. I also see much wear from where the board contacts
the inside of the edge of the trunk when deployed. A 4-5 inch curve of wear
needs to be reinforced with some extra epoxy.  There is only one serious crack
on the top edge and I am really concerned with opening this crack any more
than necessary. I will poke my awl in there and see if I can inject some epoxy
in before I coat the entire board with a barrier coat & epoxy.

 IS it really necessary to sand ALL of the old paint before adding new epoxy?

  I counted about 5 layers at some sections and I dont want to remove any more
laminate than necessary.

 I hope to go back to cutting the remaining trunk sections out this Sunday,
conditions and management permitting.

 Thanks &
  Happy New Year to everyone out there who reads this list!!
Lou's Project Boat
" Everyday Miracles"