[Rhodes22-list] CB paint removal/ repair

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Tue Jan 4 00:33:56 EST 2005

Lou,

Yes, I'm afraid all the old bottom paint has to come off.  Rather than
sanding, you might consider using a paint stripper solution & a paint
scraper.  Even if you do sand most of the old bottom paint off, you will
still have to do a final solvent wash to get the paint residue off the
surface before you will be able to get a good adhesive bond to the laminate
or gelcoat.  This is because the bottom paint is relatively soft and the
sandpaper will tend to "smear" it down into any scratches in the surface.
An application of paint stripper followed by a final acetone wash should
prep the surface nicely.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium