[Rhodes22-list] Rummy's question, Roger's Articles

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Fri Jan 7 07:45:02 EST 2005

Ed,

There were two literature articles about the hydrogen economy cited in

Michael Behar, "WARNING: The Hydrogen Economy May Be More Distant Than It
Appears", Popular Science, Jan, 2005, pp. 64-68

and the article cited by Ron Lipton in Physics Today:

http://www.physicstoday.org/vol-57/iss-12/p39.html

Of the two, the Popular Science article is more readable for a nontechnical
person.  The Physics Today article has more technical detail and has an
excellent bibliography at the end if the reader wants to delve into any of
the specific subjects discussed in more detail.

Three solar powered hydrogen filling stations in the desert SW make for a
nice demonstration.  Now, we only need a couple thousand more hydrogen
filling stations like them, at upwards of $K500 apiece!  Solar & wind power
will only work in certain areas of the country, which tend to not be where
the greatest human population and hydrogen consumption would be.
Environmental groups have already filled suit in court to stop big solar and
wind power projects as being ugly and consuming too much land.

When you read the literature articles, you'll find yourself wondering why
we're still seriously considering this loser technology.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium