[Rhodes22-list] Trailer Retrieving

Bryan Childs bchilds1 at peoplepc.com
Sat Jan 15 13:37:02 EST 2005

   Presently I have a Mercury 2 stroke 9.9 which wieghs about 75 pounds.
   I would like a 4 stroke but I got a good deal on this one so I could
   pass it up.  It is manual start so it does not have any charging
   capability, which I really miss when cruising.  I only leave the motor
   on the boat when I bring it back from the harbor to the cottage which
   is only 4 miles.  I am in Michigan so the boat is out of the water and
   being preped for the journey south.

   I retired last Jan and set off in April with the boat to the Florida
   Keys.  I had not been there before so this was an exploritory trip. I
   belong to the Trailersailor club and discussed the trip with others
   that had been there.  Many trailer their sailboats down and put them
   in at Stuart (way north of Miami) or Falmingo at the end of the
   everglades park.  I dicided to put in a mile marker 115 which is
   on US1 from the mainland to Key Largo.  There is a small marina
   (actually a dry sailing storage and launch facility) on the east side.
   I was able to leave my truck and trailer there in a locked up area.

   I travelled on the gulf side through the western intercoaster
   waterway. The winds were strong 20-25 knots, from the NE. For all the
   way SW I only used the Genny, and moved briskly along at 5-6 knots. I
   sailled for about 5 - 6 hours each day, achoring is various area and
   travelled down to mile marker 25.  (Key West is at mile marker
   zero.)  I crossed over to the Atlantic side a Channel Five where there
   is a tall bridge.  After getting to around mile marker 25 I beat
   windward back up to Marathon and Boot Key harbor.  The person that was
   with me needed to get home so we got a bus to where we launch, got the
   trailer, and pulled the boat out at Marathon.

    This year I will probably start at the same place but I want to
   include John Pennacamp Park and the Dry Tortugas.  I plan to be there
   the month of March.