[Rhodes22-list] Trailer Launching and Retrieving

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at verizon.net
Sat Jan 15 14:25:44 EST 2005

Bryan,
Thought I would add my 1.5 cents to the mix. I do think how you retrieve is
very much dependant on your particular trailer and the ramp in question. I
can't remember if you said you saw the discussion in the FAQ or not but in
case anyone is wondering it's here:
http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/recovery.html
and here:
http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/tip001.html

Much of the FAQ repeats what has been said on the list but there might be
something additional in there.

The FAQ makes mention of the MaryLou/Fred method but doesn't actually quote
my original paragraph on the subject so I've provided it here:
"Here is what works for us at our ramp. It involves someone getting wet. We
don't use the tongue extension. We submerge the trailer until forward ends
of the bunks are just barely above the water. (Getting the trailer too deep
can cause other problems.) We position the bow stop on the trailer all the
way forward. We then pull and winch the boat as far forward as she will go.
Usually this is right up to the bow stop - the boat then wants to settle
aft as we pull her out. We pull the boat out a little bit at a time. As the
boat comes out of the water the bow position changes and slack develops in
the winch strap. The first 2-3 pulls are a foot or less and we tighten up
on the winch strap each time. Usually by this time the weight of the boat
is fully on the bunks and we can pull her the rest of the way out without
her slipping back further."

We generally only launch and retrieve the boat once a year so we don't
practice very much anymore. We have never tried motoring the boat on the
trailer although Stan has always claimed that is the best method. If you
came in with a bit of momentum, it would allow you to leave the bunks
further out of the water and supporting more of the weight of the boat.
With the winch strap tight the boat might not slip back much at all. I
suspect it might still depend on the steepness of the ramp.

In any event, good luck on your trip to Florida and have a great cruise!.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Ft. Washington, PA / Swan Creek, MD