[Rhodes22-list] Trailer Retrieving

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Jan 16 11:40:04 EST 2005

Bryan,

Keep the tips coming on your Florida Keys adventures.  There are a lot
of Florida Keys Trailer-Sailing wannabees on this list--myself
included.  In order to make such a trip, people must first be confident
they can launch and retrieve on unfamiliar ramps.  I've got that part
knocked.  Here's how I do it:

1.  The horizontal arm holding the V shaped bumper should be movable.
You must learn where to position it to stop your boat.  The stop
position should never be as far forward as the arm will go.  If this is
the case, you must make some alterations on your trailer so it is not
the case.

2.  Where your boat stops should be a function of how much of the bunks
are out of the water, not where you have positioned the the horizontal
arm.  2 feet of bunk out of the water should bring your boat to a stop
before it slams into the the V shaped bow stop, no matter how fast you
bring your boat onto the trailer.

3.  Clip the winch strap to the bow eye.

4.  Retract the Bow Stop so it does not interfere with the bow eye or
the winch strap as you pull your boat out of the water.

5.  Pull your boat out of the water.

6.  If you are unhappy with where your boat has come to rest on your
trailer, place a small hydraulic jack under your centerboard trunk.  Put
1 piece of wood under the jack, and another between the jack and the
boat to distribute the pressure.

7.  Jack up the boat just enough to take most of the pressure off bunks.

8.  Using your tow vehicle, slide the trailer under the boat to the
exact position you want it to be.  (It is easiest to do this shortly
after taking the boat from the water when water and ablative bottom
paint both reduce the friction, although by raising the boat a little
higher you can easily perform this maneuver when the boat is completely
dry--there is no danger in this process, as the boat will simply drop
back onto the bunks if there is any kind of screw up.)

9.  Slide the horizontal arm back toward the hull so it appears to be
holding the boat, but actually isn't.  Putting the bumper on the hull
while trailering invites chafing.  Failing to move the arm stern ward
results in passers-by honking to tell you your boat is falling off your
trailer--which it isn't and won't.

10.  Before you hit the road, always put your fingers inside the trailer
hitch to ensure the movable hitch lip is under the ball.  Then try to
lift the trailer off the ball.  If you can so much as budge the trailer
arm upward, you don't have enough weight on the ball.  Move stuff
forward inside the boat, or add weight to the trailer in front of the axle.

This procedure will work on all boat ramps every time.  Once you know
where your boat should be on the trailer, you will find you can get it
there on the first try.  Knowing you always can easily move the boat on
the trailer if you need to do so, means everything else becomes less
critical, and you can prepare your boat for road travel in far less time.

What we on this list don't know enough about is trailer sailing.  It is
one of the huge under-explored advantages of the R-22.  Many of us are
hungry for more information about this aspect of sailing.  Everything
from how you provision your boat, to how you actually use its features
in multi-day excursions.

We're all hoping to hear more from you.  You are an inspiration to many
of us.

Bill Effros (Not going to the Florida Keys, yet again, this year.)