[Rhodes22-list] The Hydrogen Economy - Part II

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Mon Jan 17 16:56:03 EST 2005

Brad,

Name another political movement besides the antinuclear folks that enjoys
such a broad base of support among the American people.  Antinuclear power
sentiment cuts broadly across all age groups, income levels, and racial
groups.  Short of another OPEC oil embargo resulting in a 2nd great
depression, there is nothing that will sway the American public regarding
nuclear energy.  Then, given the long lead time for a nuclear power plant,
it will be nearly a decade before the new plants even come on-line.  Too
little, too late.

The bean counters don't really care whether the risks to a given project are
technical, economic, political, or litiguous.  Risk is risk, no matter how
the investment gets squandered.  The stakes are so high that most companies
can't afford to take the chance.  You might get a few companies or perhaps a
consortium to throw their hat in the nuclear power ring again; but,
certainly not the hundreds that would be required to generate the sort of
electrical power envisioned by the author.  Sure it's technically feasible;
but, the author is smoking dope if he thinks anything like that is even
remotely likely.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium