[Rhodes22-list] The Hydrogen Economy - Part II AND Politics

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 17 14:41:44 EST 2005

Roger,

You wrote;

"Short of another OPEC oil embargo resulting in a 2nd
great depression, there is nothing that will sway the
American public regarding nuclear energy".

Thank-you, you're on to something.  The Clinton
administration, while he was President, did about the
same thing for the nation as he did for Arkansas as
Governor regarding chicken farming pollution, ie,
make the environmental groups feel like they had been
heard and responded to.  During the nineties we built
a record number of natural gas fired electric power
plants because that is what made the "tree huggers"
feel good.  Never mind that gas follows the same
production decline curve and depletion outlined in
Hubbert's Peak or that the bulk of it in this country
is imported (Canada being the largest supplier for
now, but that will change with CNG).  Since wind can't
supply the demand, especially with the NIMBY's, we're
left with coal. My next door neighbor, an energy
banker, and his wife had an anniversary dinner for Fan
and I this weekend.  He had just concluded a unique
financing deal for a coal mine and a good part of the
dinner conversation was about the future of the coal
and energy markets.  Bottom line - until we embrace
nuclear, coal is the future.  Coal mines, such as the
ones in Southern Illinois that were considered "played
out", are now back in business because utilities are
willing to pay the upfront costs for scrubbers to burn
low sulfur coal.  The environmental damage left behind
from the mine tailings and surface scars remain
unchanged.  There is no free lunch in the energy
equation.  There hasn't been a single President in
history with the political balls to present how dire
the energy situation is to the American people, so it
should come as no surprise that groups oppose this,
that, and every other energy development, good or bad.
 The Chinese have no such problems.  They buy oil from
anybody, dam whatever river promises gravity, and
ignore the environmental damage in their headlong rush
to market domination.  I repeat myself, when the PHd
educated WalMart greeters can't see because of a
brownout, people's attitudes toward nukes will change.
Reality check, Please!

Brad Haslett
"CoraShen"

=== message truncated ===