[Rhodes22-list] The Hydrogen Economy - Part II

jbconnolly at comcast.net jbconnolly at comcast.net
Tue Jan 18 16:14:26 EST 2005

I would rather be discussing sailing, but I feel compelled to weigh in.

My perspective is rather unusual.  I am a former engineer for (Navy) nuclear propulsion plants, and I worked for several years after that as a safety contractor for civilian nuclear plants.  For the last fifteen years I have worked as an environmental scientist doing environmental site investigation and cleanup for (mostly non-radioactive) hazardous waste sites.

On the nuclear side, it is well-known that the Three Mile Island was flawed in its basic design.  I believe that it was the only plant ever built to that design.  The hype associated with the reporting of the accident, along with contemporaneous movies (China Syndrome) and books "We Almost Lost Detroit" a rather sensational account of the Fermi plant near Detroit) have obscured the fact that there are many orders of magnitude difference between Three Mile Island and, say Chernobyl.

Do not compare russian reactors to ours.  The RBMK (e.g., Chernobyl) design lacked any effective automatic safety systems or containment structure.  The basic design ensured that power increased when coolant levels dropped, so when it leaked, it then overheated and melted (practically inevitable, given the design) at which time nothing was there to stop radiation release.  Russians have always been more accepting of risk (at least risk to Ukranian peasants).

It is also a fact that (U.S., and probably european) nuclear power plants are perhaps the most over-engineered mechanisms on the planet.  Overlapping and interlocking safety systems make it highly unlikely that even multiple simultaneous failures would cause a release of radiation.  Note that U.S. plants are also designed to withstand aircraft impact (assumed to be accidental, then) though the size of aircraft have generally increased since the plants were designed.

On the environmental side, the most startling difference between electricity generated at a nuclear power plant and, say, a coal-fired plant is the enormous difference between the mass/volume of waste each generates, i.e., pounds versus tons per year.  The other difference is that the coal plant is allowed *under normal operation* to vent a large percentage of the waste it generates directly into the atmosphere, from which point it deposits toxic chemicals into your drinking water, the air you breathe, the yard where your children and grandchildren play, etc.  The relative degree of toxicity is not too difficult to comparatively assess, but, remember that the dose makes the poison.  If there is no exposure then, there is no risk.

Nuclear plants, during normal operation, do an effective job of containing the waste they generate.  It is debatable, (and has been debated here without resolution), whether the proposed methods of dealing with radioactive waste are sufficient to prevent public exposure.  I believe that they are adequate for transport to and storage in Yucca Mountain.  By the way, the alternative is to keep them stored in less-secure locations dispersed throughout the country.  One example- the Maine Yankee plant in Wiscassett, ME (a nice cruising area, BTW, just to bring sailing back into this) has been decomissioned and largely demolished.  Soon, only the radioactive waste storage buildings will remain, and they wll be there for the foreseeable future, according to an article in the Portland Herald.  Is it better to store the waste there, or in a secure central location?

No technology is without risk.  Nice, "clean" natural gas-fired plants require shiploads of LNG, that in an accident, could take out downtown Boston (at least according to the Coast Guard, FEMA and the Boston Globe).  It may comfort you that the risk of accident or attack has been stated to be low.  Alternatively, it may comfort you that you live elsewhere.  The  perceived cleanliness of natural gas may also not take into account environmental damage in the producing country.  It is my experience that proponents of "clean" technologies seldom take all the environmental impacts of a technology into account.

Objective and quantitative risk assessment is part of what I do in cleaning up hazardous waste sites.  I also understand the emotional aspects of assessing risk.  It can be difficult to convince an intelligent well-meaning person that they shouldn't be afraid of what they fear.  Open dialogue over a long period of time is the only way.  I hope this dialogue continues.

Anybody have a sailing story?

Jim Connolly