[Rhodes22-list] Nuclear Waste Disposal (Was The HydrogenEconomyII)

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Tue Jan 18 18:29:52 EST 2005

Rummy,

Radioactivity is not like other toxic agents.  A toxic chemical or
biological agent can be quickly incinerated to harmless carbon dioxide and
water vapor.  But, there is nothing you can do quickly to radioactive
materials to make them less radioactive.  All you can do is encapsulate them
in something nonporous like a glass or ceramic so they won't leach out into
the environment and allow the passage of time to do its work.  Again, you
can not dispose of radioactive waste, you must find a way to safely store
for a very long period of time.  After enough time time has passed, the
radioactivity naturally decays and the "hazard" no longer exists.  That's
what the Yuka Mountain Repository is all about.  Why does permanent storage
scare you so much?  Every nuclear power plant is already storing all of the
nuclear waste ever generated at that plant in special storage pools.  A
permanent repository would be so much better and safer than what we have
right now, even if we never build another nuclear power plant.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium