[Rhodes22-list] GPS's

Alex Bell alexbell at lpmonline.net
Wed Jan 19 22:00:57 EST 2005

Ed,

I bought one of the first "mapping" handheld GPS units that Magellan
(410) made. It works fine, downloads from a disk (C-Map) and does all
it's supposed to do. It is accurate when compared to my Raymarine
chartplotter on Kizmet. That unit is a WAAS system that 's very
accurate. I like the cable that plugs in to the back that runs it off
12VDC and has input and output lines to connect to other NMEA devices.

When I shopped, I looked at all the specifications and found that the
Magellan had a much higher res screen than Garman. But when I went into
West Marine, Boat U.S., REI and Boaters World...nobody wanted to show me
the Magellan. They might have had it in stock, but they didn't bother
learning how it worked, so they didn't want to show anything but Garman.
I figured out how to work it standing in the showroom after they gave me
batteries.

Battery useage is the problem with mine. It's rated to last around 16
hours, but it will die a lot earlier than that. Hence the need for the
power cord. The new Magellan Maridian series has actually got the
attention of the local West Marine folks and they are pushing that.
Seems it's easy to use and looks good. The color screen is really good.

Alex