[Rhodes22-list] Coping with sailing season/boat show interruptus

Jay Friedland jsail1 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 23 09:43:02 EST 2005

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_392.html

  "Some months ago, Straight Dope fiends will recall, this column struck
a mighty blow for truth and freedom by attacking the belief that no two
snowflakes are alike, a superstition that has blighted the lives of
millions. Not having time to inspect all the world's snowflakes
(besides, I lost the tweezers), Cecil relied instead on the crushing
logic of mathematics, arguing that so many flakes had fallen since the
dawn of time that there were bound to be a few duplicates.

  Naturally, many scoffed. One peanut-brain called to say he knew for
sure no two snowflakes were alike because he had heard it on Nova.
There was also the unfortunate business with the googols, which we
won't go into here. My defense in all cases was couched strictly in
theoretical terms, since I did not expect any actual cases of twin
flakes to turn up (although I must say the cast of characters in those
Doublemint commercials certainly came close).

  I was therefore pleasantly surprised to read in the bulletin of the
American Meteorological Society that matching snow crystals were
recently discovered by Nancy Knight of the National Center for
Atmospheric Research. The crystals in question admittedly aren't flakes
in the usual sense but rather hollow hexagonal prisms. They are also
not absolutely identical, but come on, if you insist on getting down to
the molecular level, nothing's identical. They're close enough for me.
Just shows you, not only is this column at the cutting edge of science,
sometimes we have to wait for the cutting edge to catch up.

  --CECIL ADAMS"

Any comments from the list?
Jay