[Rhodes22-list] Rudder Clutch 4

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Jul 1 08:21:47 EDT 2005

Rudder clutch owners,

We found, with Stan's help, on our trial sail on the Abermarle, that the
downhaul rope that goes up to the clutch should go up through the center of
the clutch. Then, this line needs to go around the clutch bolt and back down
under the plate. In effect forming a loop around the clutch bolt with the
wing nut on it.

The first few minutes on our test sail, we were experiencing a "heavy" helm.
Stan looked at the rudder and sure enough, it wasn't all the way down. We
had only put the line through the clutch once (going up) and it would slip.
Once we ran the line over the bolt and back under the plate again (going
down this time) and tightened the wing nut back up, no more slipping, and
the rudder stayed right where we put it. Very simple and inexpensive,
compared to a store bought rope clutch.

Rik Sandberg
S/V Country Rhodes
Long Prairie, Minnesota

Most things significant in life are small and slow.