[Rhodes22-list] Rudder Clutch 5

FCrawford0707 at aol.com FCrawford0707 at aol.com
Fri Jul 1 09:03:43 EDT 2005

With our refit, Stan installed a new clutch, with a turning knob to tighten
against the "red line" instead of the wing nut - it works great and has a
better  "feel" for the proper amount of pressure against the line.  I also ,
however, now have a "double" red line feeding up from the lower aft corner of  the
rudder instead of the previous single line.  The problem with the  double
line is that when the rudder partially kicks up from the vertical  position, the
two red lines jam between the rudder and each side of the  housing.  I have
dealt with this by leaning over the transom and moving the  red lines away from
the housing by hand, but that is not a good solution for the  long term.  If I
try to simply pull up on the red lines to get the rudder  back to vertical,
the jamming gets worse.  Perhaps I'm doing something  wrong.
    Frone Crawford
    s/v Sunday Morning