[Rhodes22-list] Day 6 & 7

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 3 11:42:04 EDT 2005

Day 6 Wednesday
We removed pump without problem but the pulley was a little stubborn. I
managed to bang pulley loose with hammer and screwdriver while Brian bravely
held pump. The pump was not to be found locally and would have to be shipped
overnight. We were going to lose at least a whole day. If we were going to
be stuck we could not have picked a better place. The Marina at Jekyll was
great. Nice people, clean showers and good restaurant. They also had
courtesy bikes and car. The grounds were filled with moss-covered trees
providing welcome shade. There was also a shaded pool area and hot tub. Oh
and Jenny discovered they had a bar. So we just relaxed caught up on some
sleep and enjoyed the pool. We had chicken dinner on board and enjoyed a
great nights sleep. Nice breeze and no bugs! Estimated miles – 0 but who
cares!

Day 7 Thursday
The pump showed up around 10 and we immediately installed with out
difficulty. We motored out of the Marina heading towards St. Simon Inlet and
back out into the ocean. The winds had shifted back to the East so we
motored sailed out of the inlet several miles and eventually killed the
motor. We were sailing again but they were now calling for another NE front
in the next 48 hours. We had expected to have SW winds for most of the trip
but somehow we had yet to see anything except E and NE!

The winds were holding out of the E about 15 plus and we decided to try for
Charleston. We had a great day sailing and we made good time moving north.
The wind started picking up and so did the waves. We decided to skip the
single reef and put a double reef in while it was still daylight. We ate the
last of the steak for dinner. We enjoyed a great sunset and moonrise. We
slept well even though the seas were getting a little rough.