[Rhodes22-list] Day 8 & 9

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 3 11:46:50 EDT 2005

Day 8 Friday
After sailing all day and the wind now more N than E it became obvious we
were not going to be able to sail to Charleston. The waves were increasing
somewhat in size and frequency. We opted to head in just South of Charleston
at the Edisto Inlet. We entered in some new waypoints and were able to pick
a more comfortable heading. We picked up the inlet without problem and
motored sailed into Edisto River. This was a nice area and we followed river
into ICW for several miles. We dropped anchor for the night at the junction
of Rantowles Creek. Anchor set and held all night with problem. We shared
this spot with one other sailboat. We had cold breakfast and PB& J for lunch
and had Mac and Cheese dinner.

Day 9 Saturday
We awoke early to gray skies and the first rain of the trip. We motored
towards Charleston and the high rent district. We had cold breakfast and PB&
J for lunch. The wind increased but the rain was mostly light. We went down
the narrow Wapoo Creek and waited on the bridge to open. We entered the
south side of Charleston harbor and we made our way to Ashley Marina for
fuel, water, ice, and beer. We motored past historic Charleston district and
out towards Fort Sumter to pick up the ICW on the north side of the harbor.
We hailed the swing bridge to confirm they open on the hour and we were
informed due to 30-knot gusts they were not going to open. We waited 25
minutes for the wind to die down and eventually we were able to pass. We
continued North on ICW and passed Isle of Palms. It was windy with light
rain on and off all day. We anchored for the night south of Georgetown on
the Santee River. It was spaghetti and jar sauce for dinner with red wine.