[Rhodes22-list] Dogs from Nel

canport at comcast.net canport at comcast.net
Fri Jul 8 03:32:28 EDT 2005

Our Austrailian Silky Terrier  - 12 lbs,  13 yrs old, loves the boat.   Loki was 4 years old when he started sailing.  Our vet suggested I take him to the park and gently swing with him on my lap, to help him adjust to movement.
Regarding the "duty"...
I am trying to get Loki to relieve himself aboard... because we leave Saturday for a 6 week cruise that may involve extended sails.  (Lake Michigan sailing from Holland Michigan to the North Channel)
Again, vet to the rescue....   we took a 15 inch long 1 inch diameter tree branch with bark.. and exposed it to the dogs urine.  Then, took the same stick over to the neighbors dogs.    Now, the  stick is in Loki's area of the yard, and he does
"mark" it.    Next step, of course, is to bring the stick to the boat.

I intend to sew a mesh bag with string so I can hang it over the rail when it's not being used.
I'll let you know if it worked.

PS... I don't have a Rhodes, but I'm on the list because of my invention -  CAN-PORT,  the holder for cans of varnish so they don't spill aboard.

Good luck with Rio!!!

Nel Osterwald