[Rhodes22-list] I'm Back From Sailing Nirvana in Destin, FL

William E. Wickman wewickman at duke-energy.com
Fri Jul 8 10:17:38 EDT 2005

Wally,
It took about 9 1/2 hrs. from Knoxville.

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |           "Wally Buck"           |
|         |           <tnrhodey at hotmail.com> |
|         |           Sent by:               |
|         |           rhodes22-list-bounces at r|
|         |           hodes22.org            |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |           07/08/2005 08:00 AM    |
|         |           Please respond to The  |
|         |           Rhodes 22 mail list    |
|         |                                  |
|---------+---------------------------------->
  |       To:       rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org                                                                                   |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  RE: [Rhodes22-list] I'm Back From Sailing Nirvana in Destin, FL                                              |

Bill,

Sounds like a good time. How long was the drive down?

Wally

> [...]
>called Outback Storage.  They were very friendly and charged me $48 to
keep
>my trailer there for the whole week.  You could easily keep your trailer
at
>the ramp for free as an alternative.  There were several trailers and even
>some with boats on them that were there when I launched and retrieved a
>week later.  I considered the $48 an insurance policy.  I can't imagine
>anything worse than coming back to a ramp to find your trailer stolen.  If
>I were to use the ramp again for a multi-day trip on the boat (where I
>didn't stay at SanDestin), I would just leave my truck and trailer at the
>launch site.  There was also a picnic shelter, bathroom, and hose to rinse
>off.
>
>I had made a reservation to dock my boat at the BayTowne Marina at
>SanDestin, but when I radioed the harbormaster upon entering port, he said
>they didn't have any record of my reservation.  They informed me that they
>were completely booked and had no extra room (This was after asking how
>large my vessel was).  I felt a little discriminated against because they
>didn't tell me until they found out how small I was.  If you have ever
been
>to Baytowne Marina, it looks like something out of the lifestyles of the
>rich and famous.  Most of the boats were motor yachts that were from 50 to
>200 feet in length (I'm not kidding!).  My little boat was dwarfed among
>them.
>
>Not believing that there was no room for my little 22 footer, I persisted;
>suggesting that maybe they could keep my boat on the davits of one of the
>mega yachts.  Finally, they agreed to put me in a slip that didn't have
>power or water, which I didn't need anyway.  I happily bounded up to the
>dock where the dockmaster awaited in his golf cart (this is a really
>upscale place).  After filling out the paperwork and paying my $1/ft. per
>day for the right to tie up to a dock with no hookups, I asked where I
>should go; looking at the mega yachts and wondering which one I would get
>to nestle up to and become friends with.  The dockmaster turned me around
>and pointed across the bay to a distant dock where they store the shuttle
>boats called Captain Ron's Cove.  "What?", I asked.  "Is that the reject
>dock?"  Actually the docks were nearly brand new, but they didn't have any
>dock cleats.  So, I found myself motoring across the bay, having paid $60
>for a slip with no cleats that I would have to drive my car to access.  To
>add insult to injury, on the way to my humble abode, I passed several
>sailboats that were anchored....for free!!  Actually, I paint a much
>bleaker picture than it really was.  The staff at Baytowne Marina were
>actually very friendly and accommodating, and the $1/ft. gets you a whole
>lot more than just a place to tie up.  I also, got full access to
SanDestin
> [...]
>beautiful and the vast bay was virtually empty, but for the occasional
mega
>yacht coming into Baytowne Marina.  When a nearby thunderstorm would pass
>by, the winds would pick up and the sailing would get quite spirited which
>satisfied my 17 year old son's desire for excitement.  We got the boat to
>hull speed several times, but mostly sailed at 3 to 5 knots.  Very nice.
>Coming back into the harbor after dark was no problem as they have a very
>well marked channel and the lights from the resort provide adequate
>illumination.  We felt quite smug one evening as we sailed right into the
>harbor under the gaze of countless patrons at a bay-side bar.
>
>Perhaps the very best aspect of sailing the bay was the dolphins.  We
>observed dolphins almost every time we went out on the boat.  On several
>occasions, a pod of dolphins would appear near the boat and start swimming
>alongside and in our bow wave.  The best dolphin encounter was our first
>sighting.  We were well into the bay and had been sailing for a couple of
>hours.  We had pretty much given up on seeing any dolphins and I began
>heading back to the harbor.  All of the sudden I felt a bump underneath
the
>boat.  Yikes!  Had I just bumped the bottom of the bay?  The charts showed
>that I should be in 20+ feet of water.  Besides, the bump had a soft feel
>to it, not like I have experienced when the centerboard or rudder hits
>bottom.  A minute later a dolphin popped its head out of the water as if
>say, "Welcome to my bay!"  I am convinced that what I felt was a dolphin
>rubbing the keel of our Rhodes.  Soon four large and one baby dolphin were
>frolicking along side our boat.  Tears of excitement welled up in my
>daughter's eyes as the dolphins continued to play around our boat for the
>next 20 minutes (she is a dolphin fanatic).
>
>The week went by much too quickly, and soon we found ourselves heading
back
>home.  Doing the day sailing thing was a nice balance that satisfied the
>desires of the whole family.  Mixing sailing with other activities kept
>everyone's interest high.  I personally yearned to head out for a
multi-day
>trip of exploration, and I definitely plan to return sometime to do just
>that.  I feel like I just touched the tip of the iceberg of cruising areas
>here.  Cruising this area earlier in the year when it is a bit cooler
would
>definitely make the trip more comfortable, but it can certainly be done
>this time of year if you allow for some stopovers at marinas where you can
>shower.
>
>A note of experience on trailering.  One piece of advice that I would like
>to share on trailering is to check your trailer wheels every time you
stop.
>I always touch the hubs on my trailer wheels to see if they are hot.
After