[Rhodes22-list] Oriental to Ocracoke - Labor Day

Robert Dilk robertdilk at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 28 20:08:26 EDT 2005

   September is the peak of the Hurrican Season. Even 25 kts winds on the
   Pamlico Sound make for some  very scary sailing.

   You might want to check out the
   Pamlico Sailing Club
   [1]http://www.sailingsource.com/psc/default.html
   Tell'em Bob Dilk sent you.

   They have races to Ocracoke and general good knowledge of the Pamlico
   River, the Pamlico Sound and Ocracoke Island.

   Eastern North Carolina has some wonderful crusing areas.

   Bob Dilk

   selling S/V Knot Necessary

   >From: "Peter Thorn" <pthorn at nc.rr.com>
   >To: "Rhodes 22 List Members" <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
   >Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Oriental to Ocracoke  - Labor Day
   >Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:58:53 -0400
   >
   >Bill W, Alex, Rummy, Ed and Everyone,
   >
   >There seems to be some growing interest among some of my trailer
   sailing buddies to sail from Oriental NC (Neuse River) to Ocracoke NC
   (Silver Lake anchorage, Outer Banks).  It's a distance of about 50
   miles and the idea would be to sail there and back in three days --
   provided we have the full co-operation of the weather.

   >Friday 9/2 would be travel and rig day.
   >Sat 9/3 early departure
   >Monday 9/5 or Tuesday 9/6 would be de-rig and go home day.
   >
   >If the weather turns bad, I will bail.  It's too early for
   Nor'easters, so if we don't get a hurricane the weather is most likely
   to be OK.  Prevailing winds are SW and seabreeze is likely.  Each
   skipper is going at their own risk and is solely responsible for their
   own safety.

   >So far, George B (Greensboro, NC - renovated Paceship 23) and
   Lawrence M (Cary, NC) - Tanzer 26) appear to be very interested in
   this trip.  There may be a few other boats from the Greensboro LTYC
   trailer sailor club.

   >Any Rhodies interested in joining us would be more than welcome.
   With a good eye on the weather, the Rhodes 22 is a quite capable
   vessel for this trip across the second largest essentially landlocked
   body of water on the eastern seaboard.