[Rhodes22-list] Oriental to Ocracoke - Labor Day

Nell nellwolfe at cox.net
Thu Jul 28 17:34:02 EDT 2005

I am on my way to Ocracoke tomorrow for a 6 day holiday. I agree with your
assessment of the eyesore and the jerk who owns it. Last year I wanted to go
to Ocracoke for Labor Day but all the motel rooms were full, as well as the
moorings. So I decided to go early this year and snatched one of the last
rooms available. Hopefully, I will go by sail next year. Anyway, beware of
the Navy's explosives ranges; there are 3 in the area (see reference below).

nellwolfe

      Pamlico Sound and adjacent waters, N.C.; danger zones for Marine Corps
operations.

       (a) Bombing and rocket firing area in Pamlico Sound in vicinity of
Brant Island—(1) The area.

The waters within a circular area with a radius of 3.0 statute miles having
its center on the

southern side of Brant Island at latitude 35°12&min;30&sec;, longitude
76°26&min;30&sec;.

       (2) The regulations. The area shall be closed to navigation and
personnel at all times except

for vessels engaged in operational and   maintenance work as directed by the
enforcing agency.

Prior to bombing or firing operations the area will be “buzzed” by plane.
Upon being so warned

vessels working in the area shall leave the area immediately.

       (b) Bombing, rocket firing, and strafing areas in Pamlico Sound and
Neuse River—(1) The areas.

(i) The waters within a circular area with a radius of 1.8 statute miles
having its center at

latitude 35°02&min;12&sec;, longitude 76°28&min;00&sec;.

       (ii) The waters within a circular area with a radius of 0.5 statute
mile having its center at

latitude 35°04&min;12&sec;, longitude 76°28&min;24&sec;.

       (iii) The waters within a circular area with a radius of 0.5 statute
mile having its center at

latitude 35°01&min;42&sec;, longitude 76°25&min;48&sec;.

       (iv) The waters within a circular area with a radius of 0.5 statute
mile having its center at

latitude 34°58&min;48&sec;, longitude 76°26&min;12&sec;.

       (2) The regulations. (i) The area described in paragraph (b)(1) of
this section will be used

as bombing, rocket firing, and strafing areas. Live and dummy ammunition
will be used. The area

shall be closed to navigation and all persons at all times except for such
vessels as may be

directed by the enforcing agency to enter on assigned duties. The area will
be patrolled and

vessels “buzzed” by the patrol plane prior to the conduct of operations in
the area. Vessels or

personnel which have inadvertently entered the danger zone shall leave the
area immediately

upon being so warned.

       (ii) The areas described in paragraphs (b)(1) (ii), (iii) and (iv) of
this section shall be used

for bombing, rocket firing, and strafing areas. Practice and dummy
ammunition will be used. All

operations will be conducted during daylight hours, and the areas will be
open to navigation at

night. No vessel or person shall enter these areas during the hours of
daylight without special

permission from the enforcing agency. The areas will be patrolled and
vessels “buzzed” by the

patrol plane prior to the conduct of operations in the areas. Vessels or
personnel which have

inadvertently entered the danger zones shall leave the area immediately upon
being warned.

       (c) Enforcing agency. The regulations of this section shall be
enforced by the Commander,

Marine Corps Air Bases, East, Cherry Point, North Carolina, or his
authorized representatives.