[Rhodes22-list] Ford Pinto vs the R22

Alex Bell alexbell at lpmonline.net
Fri Jul 29 00:04:05 EDT 2005

Michael,

Your "once upon a time story" is right on the mark. My commentary on the
issue was being written when your email came up on my screen.  Once the
MJM decoder ring kicked in I could tell your message, while bluntly to
the point, was on the mark. I would say there's some boats in the
$2,500-$3,000 range that would work out. I saw a Chrysler 22 available
in that price range and a Chrysler 26 for under $4,000. The Chrysler
boats were extremely well built. I used to be a Chrysler Sailboat dealer
in my former life. the C26 is  a real neat boat. Need big tow vehicle,
but it's really a roomy boat. C22 has nice interior room, but cockpit a
bit small. Still, good value for the money.

How many years has this boat been out of commission? Seems to me that
the problem with this kind of restoration project is that the people who
undertake such a task are not well versed or skilled in
boatbuilding/restoring and are looking for an economical boat (cheap
boat) that they think they can bring back from near death. The people
who have the necessary  knowledge and skills are not undertaking such a
project. Ever wonder why?  CAUSE THERE AINT NO SUCH THING AS A CHEAP
BOAT.  They are all holes you throw money into. Trying to save money by
bringing back a hulk is costing you valuable free time to go sailing or
boating. Sorry to bear bad news, but while others are sailing away,
you're tied to the project with no idea when you'll be in the water.
There's lots of baots available for a low price that are ready to go
sailing. I wish you luck with the project, but keep in mind that you'll
never get your time investment out of this boat.

Rummy, the older the Pinto gets the more valuable it will become. That
is if you can keep them from blowing up.

Alex Bell