[Rhodes22-list] Raising The Mast-Hard to believe I made this mistake...

P&M Beals beals at rci.rutgers.edu
Fri Jun 10 14:44:28 EDT 2005

I found Slim's set of directions to be very helpful a couple weeks'  back.
I had saved them in my Rhodes' email file from last September, and I
compared Slim's list of the fall to this set, seeing that he included for
newbies like me, " with the mast resting on the mast crutch roller in step
2" since we had once begun,  having forgotten to install the mast crutch
over the transom.

We made another mistake, and this is shared, showing our full state of
newbie stupidity, here stated for more newbies, wannabes etc.
When we went to connect the upper shrouds to their chain plates, I connected
to the chain plates on the cabin deck, not the most outer chain plates...
We proceeded to hoist the mast, but about 45 degrees up, with the mast
leaning over the boat to our left in the boat yard, I commanded us to
retreat back down, and anlyze what was wrong here... only to have a helpful
boat owner come over, and insist that he help us steer the mast safely up,
without having the mast swing out.  Eventually we figured out the error,
corrected it, and proceeded without further hitch...

I share this account so someone else may not make the same stupid mistake in
the future, and to say, is there any source for diagrams with shrouds etc.
labeled?  I seem to recall last fall there was some discussion about someone
had thought to undertake this project, but I haven't ever seen a diagram
other than the one Stan includes in his Rhodes 22 sales package...

I have now added to my personal list of directions, which happens to be a
copy of Stan's directions, Slim's above, :"Think upper shrouds to outer
chain plates"...I know someone will say how in the world could you have made
that mistake?? but I did...

Also, for newbies, when raising the mast, allow at least an hour of time,
that includes straightening out shrouds...as you are doing it the first few
times I stop and check, read and re-read...once so far it has gone without a
missed step or a misstake...but otherwise I have had to correct mistakes...

however, I also think the mast raising system is a really beautiful
system...

Now that our boat is in the water on Raritan Bay and we are a 35 minute
drive to the boat in ideal driving conditions, and we did have one nice sail
last Sunday afternoon, I am faced with the problem that some sailors have
which is feeling the wind blow, and wishing I could be on the water sailing
right then and there...lucky you lake or shore property owners!!

Real estate buzz...a two bedroom, 2 bath condo apt. first floor in Keyport,
NJ a step away from the water...asking price $420,000....and Keyport is not
a ritzy town, just on the Raritan Bay, though the developers and property
values they are arising...